The Bermuda Diabetes Association said they “would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone in Bermuda a healthy message for the Christmas season.”
“Christmas is the time when families and friends get together for festivity, and food—lots of food. Temptations are everywhere, and all of those parties disrupt daily routines,” the Association said.
“Here are a few tips to help you be healthy over the holiday season. You want to enjoy Christmas and despite what you think you can enjoy all of the festivities and be healthy at the same time.
- Invited to a party? Offer to bring a healthy dish along.
- Eat a smaller portion of sweet treats.
- Don’t skip meals to save up for a feast as you will be hungry and eat more.
- Drink more water. Make sure water is part of every meal.
- Exercise every day even if it’s only ten minutes. We know how busy you are at this time of year but being active is your secret holiday weapon; it can help make up for eating more than usual and reduce stress during this most stressful time of year. Take a walk with family and friends after a holiday meal.
- Fill your plate with vegetables and eat less of the higher caloric foods.
- Eat slowly. It takes at least 20 minutes for your brain to realize you’re full.
“No food is on the naughty list just eat smaller portions of these foods. Finally make sure you rest. People often overeat when they are tired and stressed. Have a wonderful healthy holiday.”
Read More About