Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre is urging everyone in Bermuda to find at least ten people they want to spend the night with, all for a good cause – fighting cancer.
On May 12 and 13, title sponsor Ironshore and the Bermuda registered charity #070 are hosting the fourth annual Relay For Life of Bermuda event at North Field, National Sports Centre.
They are encouraging friends, family and work colleagues to get together and form teams of 10 to 15 people and participate. Throughout the 24 hours, each team member takes turns walking around the track all while enjoying a wide range of fun activities. This unique celebration of life raises funds to support cancer prevention and detection and improve cancer access to treatment on Island.
Slideshow of last year’s Relay for Life:
Deborah Titterton-Narraway, the event co-Chair of Cancer of Relay For Life of Bermuda, said, “Relay For Life is a great way to spend time with your friends, family and colleagues while raising money to support Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre’s initiative to provide radiation therapy in Bermuda by mid-2017.”
Participants are asked to raise a minimum of $100 each in the months leading up to Relay through various fundraising activities. During the event, teams continue fundraising with themed booths and activities. The general public are invited to come and support this event while enjoying the festival like atmosphere.
Highlights of the event include:
- Survivor Lap: Relay For Life begins with the Survivor Lap. This is an inspiring ceremony where survivors are honoured by participants and attendees in support of their cancer journey.
- Luminaria Ceremony: One of the most memorable events during the night is the Luminaria Ceremony, where everyone has the opportunity to light candles and take a moment to honour those who have beat the disease, those who are still fighting, and those who have courageously fought but have lost their battle.
- Fight Back Ceremony: During this ceremony, participants celebrate in the knowledge that it is the spirit of an entire community that has the power to make a difference.
Ms. Titterton Narraway continues “About 300 people every year are diagnosed with cancer in Bermuda, approx. 200 of these people could benefit from radiation but currently only about 100 are going overseas for treatment.
“With the opening of Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre’s radiation treatment unit in a few months, this cancer treatment will now be made available to all who are referred regardless of one’s ability to travel or their level of insurance.”
95% of the money raised through Relay For Life of Bermuda goes directly to funds the new radiation treatment initiative. The remaining 5% is used by the American Cancer Society to fund their global cancer initiatives.
The theme this year, is ‘One More.’ One more dollar raised, life saved, hero made. What would you do with #onemoredayBDA?
To register a team or for more information on our Relay event, how you can become involved visit here. Team Captains [registered or not] are encouraged to attend the Team Captain meeting on March 24, 5:30 at XL Catlin.
Read More About